Help hardworking immigrants who face financial challenges during the COVID-19 crisis by donating to our Client Support Fund
If you have any questions about the Client Support Fund or donating to Canal Alliance, please call Emily Maloney at 415-306-0445 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dear friends and allies,
The news about the coronavirus (COVID-19) as it spreads throughout the country has been frantic, confusing, and a source of anxiety for many people. As a community-based organization that serves some of Marin County’s most vulnerable residents, Canal Alliance takes seriously our role to continue providing services while also acting as a critical bridge for communication with the immigrant community in Marin.
The potential risks of this viral pandemic to our clients cannot be overstated. During times of crisis, clients rely on Canal Alliance for assistance and accurate information. Some clients do not have health insurance, and many face the prospect of lost wages because their employers do not provide paid time off. Wage loss can have devastating effects on low-income families, resulting in the inability to pay rent or utilities, or to purchase groceries or other essential household items. Hunger can increase for families who already face food instability. Also, while the recently announced school closures in Marin present challenges for all families, these challenges are greater for low-income families – parents may need to stay home (facing further wage loss) to provide child care, children who rely on meals provided at school may go hungry, and children who lack home access to the internet may be unable to keep up with their peers academically.
Donate to our Client Support Fund
To ensure that clients have access to resources and information, and to support clients who are experiencing loss of wages, Canal Alliance has established a Client Support Fund. Your donation to this fund will support clients and families who face financial challenges during this crisis. Funds will be made available to families who need support to purchase groceries, to pay their rent or utilities, or to pay expenses for other urgent needs.
At the same time, we are prioritizing the health and safety of our clients, volunteers, staff and partners. We value keeping everyone safe, providing accurate resources and information, and being a source of calm during the panic.
With these goals in mind, we wanted to share some of the actions that Canal Alliance is taking to help protect our community, and to invite you to support our efforts.
What we are doing
- Program Operations – We are committed to providing services to the community during this time, and recognize that making the decision to close programs is not an easy decision to make. We are working with the Department of Public Health and the school district to ensure that we are supporting our clients who depend on our services. At this time, we are assessing our program capacity and making decisions regarding whether to continue or suspend operation of our core programs. At the same time, we are also making accommodations to continue serving our clients through virtual meetings and appointments, when possible. Please note that any decisions regarding program closures or changes to program schedules will be communicated directly by program staff via email or phone with clients, volunteers, partners and others directly impacted by those changes.
- Work Schedules and Self Care – Staff who feel sick are urged to stay home, and we are offering flexibility for remote work for employees who have heightened risk factors for the virus. We have also modified our Human Resources policies so that all staff will receive pay in the event of program shut down.
- Prevention – We are currently following prevention methods as described by the CDC, the Marin County Department of Public Health, and the school district; our facilities are being deep cleaned every night, including the sanitization of frequently-touched surfaces, and we have implemented procedures to support social distancing.
- Reminder to Stay Calm – We are committed to sharing factual information with our clients and the community in order to help people meet health guidelines and to dispel rumors and fear.
- Client Support Fund – We are dedicated to minimizing the financial impact that this crisis may have on clients and their families. By making a donation today to our Client Support Fund, you will be directly helping families who face lost wages and financial challenges during this time.
Other ways you can support vulnerable communities at this time:
- Offer paid time off for employees and workers who do not normally have this as a benefit of their employment.
- Avoid language that might blame others and lead to stigma: Remember that viruses can make anyone sick, regardless of a person’s race or ethnicity. Avoid making assumptions about who might have COVID-19.
- Share and discuss only factual and accurate information from reliable sources with your neighbors, friends and colleagues.
- Follow prevention and hygiene methods recommended by the CDC and the Department of Public Health, including frequent hand washing and social distancing.
As this situation evolves, we are closely monitoring guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Marin County Department of Public Health. We will continue to rely on their recommendations and expertise to inform our planning and decision-making. We will share critical updates on our website, via our newsletter, on social media, and through targeted emails to clients and the community.
Canal Alliance is grateful to serve as a trusted messenger in the community. With your support, we play a crucial role in serving the immigrant community during times of crisis. Our priority at this time is to continue providing services to the community to the extent possible, and to serve as a critical bridge of communication for Latino immigrants.
Thank you for supporting our efforts to ensure that Latino immigrants remain healthy and financially secure during this challenging time.