The Canal Alliance Compañeras program is unique in Marin and is the only program of its kind that provides peer birth support to monolingual Spanish speaking women in the Latino community.
The Compañeras program connects at-risk pregnant Latinas with bilingual volunteer bicultural birth coaches who provide emotional support, community connections, help to ensure prenatal and postnatal doctor visits, and act as advocates and interpreters before, during and after birth to ensure positive birth experiences and healthy mother-child bonding, which is essential to infant and parent well-being.
Volunteers must be 18 years of age or older
On call for at least 6 months. You’ll be assigned at least 2 clients per month.
Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Connect with the client before the birth
- Serve as a labor coach during birth at the hospital
- Write narratives regarding the experiences
- Provide follow-up postpartum checks
Skills & Competencies
- Spanish proficiency is mandatory
- Patience and problem-solving skills.
- Cultural competence in working with diverse populations, including communities of color, immigrants, and persons of various ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, health status, and abilities.