The Canal Alliance Food Pantry and Open Market offers fresh produce and packaged foods for hundreds of families in the Canal neighborhood each Tuesday. Each week, volunteers provide support in unloading food from trucks, stocking shelves, interacting with clients and handing out food in the walk-through system, and clean up and take down of the Open Market as it closes. This is a great opportunity for individuals, families and volunteer groups to interact with the individuals and families that Canal Alliance serves. Safe food handling principles will be provided by Canal Alliance staff.
Volunteers must be 16 or older.
If under 18, you must be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
Tuesday mornings starting from 8:00 am to 11:00 am.
Must be able to commit to a minimum of one month (4 weeks).
- Attend Virtual Onboarding Training prior to volunteering
- Setup and breakdown the Food Pantry.
- Provide support in unloading food from trucks and stocking shelves.
- Oversee safety in the walk-through system.
- Adhere to the safety procedures and protocols (training will be provided on-site).
- Adhere to practicing social distancing
Skills & Competencies
- Spanish proficiency not required.
- Must be able and lift 20-30lbs, job entails repetitive movements and bending.
- Must be able to stand and/or walk for up to 4 hours.
- Cultural competence in working with diverse populations, including communities of color, immigrants and persons of various ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, health status, and abilities.
COVID-19 Volunteer Guidelines
We ask that you please do not attempt to volunteer if you have:
- Experienced symptoms that could be related to COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Been around anyone who has COVID-19 in the last 14 days.
- Traveled to any foreign country in the last 14 days.
- Been on a cruise or been in an airport in the last 14 days.