Canal Alliance is looking for volunteer to help community members during the upcoming tax filing season. Don’t know that much about taxes? Don’t worry — you’ll get specialized training in basic tax preparation.
The VITA Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people with low-to-moderate income, senior citizens, persons with disability, those who have limited English proficiency and others who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. In the majority of the free tax help sites, taxpayers get one-on-one help from IRS-certified volunteers who prepare their taxes for them.
The tax site will operate every Saturday, starting on February 6, 2021 from 10am – 4pm and will end on April 10, 2021.
Skills and Requirements
- Must be able to commit to at least 4 hours each Saturday starting from February 6 to April 10 from 10am – 4pm.
- Fill out Canal Alliance forms through DocuSign, forms will be emailed by Volunteer Coordinator.
- Must be 18 years or older to volunteer.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English is a plus but not required.
- Tax Preparer is the most vital volunteer role at any of our community-based tax sites. You will directly provide free tax preparation services to Canal Alliance clients using IRS-approved online software.
- Attend Canal Alliance and IRS virtual tax trainings.
- There will be a virtual orientation on Wednesday, December 9th for new volunteers to go over the VITA standards of conduct set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Our staff will provide the details over email.
- You will be trained by an IRS tax instructor and receive IRS training materials. Tax prep trainings will take place on January 9, 16, and 23, 2021.