Updated 9/3/20: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis, we are not currently onboarding new volunteers. With the exception of our Weekly Food Pantry, all of our programs are operating remotely until further notice. Please check back here for updates on current volunteer opportunities and sign-up using “Become a Volunteer” form below.
University Prep (UP!) is the after school college-readiness program that supports 120 low-income Latino youth to complete a four-year college degree. Our Youth Education volunteers support students in grades 6 to 12 by offering daily tutoring in core subjects and homework assistance. In 2018, 100% of UP! high school graduates qualified to enroll directly into four-year state universities.
Canal Alliance offers 15-week sessions during the mornings and evenings at Canal Alliance and Pickleweed Community Center in San Rafael. Mandatory orientations and training must be completed.
Volunteers must be 16 years or older.
Youth between 16 and 18 years must count with the authorization of their parents or legal guardian for Canal Alliance to run a background check.
2 hours per week or more for the whole school year
Middle School: September 3 – June 11
- Mondays – 4:30 to 5:30 pm
- Tuesdays & Wednesdays – 3:30 to 5:30 pm
- Thursday – 2:00 to 4:00pm
High School: August 26 – June 11
- Mondays – 5:45 to 6:45 pm
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays – 4:45-6:45
- Provide homework support to individuals or small groups of students
- Communicate regularly with the program supervisor about any issues
Skills & Competencies
- Spanish proficiency not required.
- Strong content knowledge in your identified subject(s).
- Ability to communicate effectively and build positive relationships with students, volunteers, and staff.
- Cultural competence in working with diverse populations, including communities of color, immigrants and persons of various ages, socioeconomic backgrounds, health status, and abilities