U.S. citizenship provides greater security and opportunities for lawful permanent residents who are eligible to apply. In addition to safety from deportation, U.S. citizenship gives people the right to vote and the ability to sponsor family members to immigrate to the United States.
Basic eligibility requirements for U.S. citizenship
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be a lawful permanent resident (green card holder)
- Continuously resided in the U.S. for at least 5 years since becoming a permanent resident
- Be physically present in the U.S. for at least 2½ out of the past 5 years
- Be of good moral character
- Be able to understand, speak, read and write English
- Understand U.S. government and history concepts
We offer 8 free, walk-in naturalization consultations for new clients on Thursdays at Canal Alliance. Four spots are available at 9:00 am and 4 more are available at 1:00 pm. Everyone will be seen on a first-come, first-served basis.
Four walk-in naturalization consultations are available at 5:00 pm on the following dates:
- September 9, 2019
- October 14, 2019
- November 18, 2019
Civics Classes at Canal Alliance
Canal Alliance offers 10-week Citizenship Classes throughout the year to prepare individuals for the Citizenship Exam and the United States Customs & Immigration Services (USCIS) interview process. Citizenship classes are offered in the evenings and are taught in English by dedicated volunteers.
- Fall 2019 IN PROGRESS August 27-October 22, 2019
- Winter 2019 (Short Session) November 5- December 18, 2019
- Winter 2020 January 14-March 17
- Spring 2020 April 14- June 9